"Our prime purpose in this life is to help others, and if you can't help them, at least don't hurt them." ~Dalai Lama

Friday, March 29, 2013

10 Things You Should Never Say To Single People


what not to sayCommunication can be hard and sometimes we say the wrong thing, whether we mean to or not. But as a general rule, there are a few things you should avoid saying so that your friends don’t turn against you. For example: there are just some things you should never say to single people, plain and simple.
Look, I know you’re just trying to help. I know you’re happy in your relationship and you just want your friend to find someone and be happy also. I know that you probably have good intentions and you’re just trying to give some advice and do the right thing. But if you say any of these things, just… stop. Just stop. These 10 statements can very easily come off as condescending, causing that single person you’re talking to to start fuming.
I may be in a relationship right now, but I was single for a while before I met my boyfriend and whenever someone said one of these things to me, I would just grit my teeth and try to put on a happy face, while cursing the person out in my head. So, just… be careful with your choice of words. And do all of your single friends a favor and avoid these:

“It will happen when you least expect it.” 
what not to say to single people
Source: Tumblr.com
UGH. Why don’t you just say, “you should stop trying so hard?” And please God, do not start with your story about how you met the last five guys you dated.

“Wow, how many bad dates have you been on?” 
what not to say to single people
Source: Tumblr.com
Wow… you’re rude. And that’s the last time you hear any of my hilarious date stories.

“Maybe you should stop being so picky.” 
what not to say to single people
Source: Tumblr.com
Oh, lower my standards so I can settle for someone I don’t even really like that much just so I can say I have a boyfriend? Yeah, sounds like a great idea.

“Have you met anyone lately?” 
what not to say to single people
Source: Tumblr.com
Nope, still single. Why don’t you just remind me again? Oh, and if I did and it meant something, don’t you think you would have heard about it?

“Have you tried…” 
what not to say to single people
Source: Tumblr.com
Whatever you’re about to say, stop. I’m capable of figuring out to meet someone on my own, thanks.

“There are plenty of fish in the sea!” 
what not to say to single people
Source: Tumblr.com
Yes, thank you for reminding me. I’m happy to at least know that there are great guys/girls out there that I’m simply just not meeting.

“Aw, you’ll find someone soon.” 
what not to say to single people
Source: Tumblr.com
Thank you for assuming I’m unhappy just because I’m not in a relationship at the moment.

“I miss being single… sometimes.” 
what not to say to single people
Source: Tumblr.com
How sweet. That almost makes me feel better, that you sometimes miss it.

“You just haven’t found the right person yet.” 
what not to say to single people
Source: Tumblr.com
Oh, is THAT what the problem is? Thank you so much, I never realized.

“You just need to put yourself out there.” 
what not to say to single people
Source: Tumblr.com
Um… where exactly? Also, how do you know I’m not doing everything I can right now?

And the number one, absolute worst thing to say…

“Why are you still single?!”
what not to say to single people
Source: Tumblr.com
Gee, I don’t know. Why am I still single? Maybe this is supposed to be meant as a compliment, but if I knew why I was still single, I probably wouldn’t still be single. GO AWAY.

Which of these statements is the worst, in your opinion? Has anyone ever said these to you? What else did I miss?


Read more: http://www.gurl.com/2013/03/26/things-you-should-never-say-to-single-people/#ixzz2OuEIHeSP

No comments:

Post a Comment